Different types of software
3 January 2023
What is the software?
Software is the logical and intangible equipment of a computer. In other words, the concept of software encompasses all computer applications, such as word processors, spreadsheets, image editors, audio players, and video games, among many others.
Types of Software
In computing, system software or underlying software is the set of programs pre-installed on a computer or computer system that allows interaction with the operating system (the software that controls the operation of the entire system and makes sure it works) to support other programs and provide capital, and equipment management. The underlying software is usually simple, inaccessible to most users, and controls the capabilities of the computer as dictated by the operating system, which should not be tampered with.
System Software Classification:
- Desktop and Mobile Operating Systems
- Device Controllers or Drivers
- Data Servers
- System Utilities (diagnostics, optimizations to speed up windows, etc)
- Error Correction Tools
Application or Utility Software
There is a second category of software called software, also known as utility software, and these are applications, programs, and tools that we actively use according to our needs.
All the tools we use daily such as web browsers, email clients, office applications such as Office, graphic design, messaging, or communication programs such as Skype, image viewers, multimedia players (videos and images), antivirus, and antimalware. or anti-spyware, online games, etc.
Existing classes of application software:
- Office Suites Applications.
- Security Applications (antivirus, antimalware, etc).
- Educational Applications
- Design Software
- Medical Software
- Accounting Software
- Inventory Software
- Architecture Software
- Administrative Software
Malicious software, also known as “Malware”, is any program that is not really in any previous layer but has its own layer of any program because it is not a system program, not an application program, and not a programming program.
Malicious applications such as bacillus are installed by their victims without their knowledge, affecting both home computers and corporate networks where they generally cause millions of dollars’ worth of damage as important company data is lost and deleted. Therefore, malware is often linked to crimes and cybercrimes. There are many types of malicious software encompassed under the term malware, so we will try to group them together at the same time so that you know what they are.
Types of Malicious Software that we can find in our computers:
Is a special type of software that is primarily used to develop other applications, that is, programs and tools that are used to develop other programs and tools.
Most programming tools have everything a developer may need to complete his tasks. Among the built-in tools, you can find, for example, a word processor, a debugger, various developers, and others.
Types of programming software:
- Text editors: are used by many retro programmers to write clean code untethered to large programs.
- Integrated Development Environments (IDE): these are all-in-one programming toolkits that help improve development productivity.
- Code debuggers: help the programmer to debug and improve code by eliminating junk code.
- Compilers: that allow compatibility and execution of the program on your operating system.
Examples of programming software:
- NetBeans is one of the most popular and widely used IDEs in the world and it is also free. It is mainly used for Java programming, although different modules can be used to increase its functionality. Many PHP developers also use it, especially those using the Symfony framework.
- Microsoft Visual Studio has long been considered one of the best IDEs for software development of all kinds. The cross-platform tool supports many popular languages, including, for example, PHP, Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc. It focuses primarily on web development and supports Django and ASP.NET.
- GeneXus is a powerful development software that is widely used in the enterprise sector and allows us to create applications for Windows environments, mobile devices, and web pages. For web developers, this is very important as it integrates with different types of database engines such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, etc.
- WinDev is a popular EDI and is widely used to create applications quickly, especially data-oriented ones. It gives the user a variety of charting options to choose from and is highly interactive. It is compatible with Java, C# and .NET, and even allows you to develop programs for platforms such as Linux and Mac.